As outdoor volleyball came to an end, Wednesday's usual suspects decided to continue the debauchery that ensued during the summer and join a dodgeball league. A few have played in previous years, but this is the first time I've ever been part of the regular team.
Having a general idea of the game, I was primarily interested in not getting smoked by the ball and having my throws be somewhat respectable and not look like they were thrown by a girl. Although years of softball have ensured there is some technique to my throws, when you have little hands, it's hard to grab a hold of those balls (yes, pun intended) well enough to produce a decent throw with some level of intensity.
I went to my 2nd game in 4 wks tonight and was given a first hand introduction to how incredibly serious some people take it. Not being the type to get overly competitive, I was naively thinking everyone's competitive level would hover close to mine. Man was I wrong. I knew it was going to be an interesting game when I arrived only to find the other team monopolizing the little elementary school gym stage. One was playing the piano while everyone was stretching and...wait for it...singing. Yup, you heard me - singing some random song, occasionally stopping to check everyone's pitch. And odd site to behold to say the least.
Then the game got started. Every hit, every catch, every dodge - the peanut gallery was jumping to their feet as if we'd won the Stanley Cup. If the team won the game, everyone leaped off the bench and went running to the middle of the gym to congratulate those who were on. Unable to believe the level of intensity coming from our opponents, not to mention the male peacocking from, well, not the most attractive man on the other team, really - all we could do was laugh quietly amongst ourselves. And of course beat them at this game they all appeared to love so much. :)
Hello!
I'm vertically challenged half Mexican, half Japanese gal from Vancouver sharing all the randomness that happens in my life.
Previous Mumbo Jumbo
- March 2011 (2)
- February 2011 (5)
- January 2011 (7)
- December 2010 (3)
- November 2010 (1)
- October 2010 (3)
- September 2010 (2)
- August 2010 (1)
- July 2010 (3)
- June 2010 (9)
- May 2010 (7)
- April 2010 (5)
- March 2010 (7)
- February 2010 (7)
- January 2010 (2)
- December 2009 (6)
- November 2009 (5)
- October 2009 (5)
- September 2009 (3)
- August 2009 (6)
- July 2009 (9)
- June 2009 (7)
- May 2009 (5)
- April 2009 (5)
Randomness in 140 chars
The Daily Perusal
Looking for something?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment